Since I’ve already done a full review of the game on the 3DS, I’ll be giving my quick impressions. Do note however that my laptop is a little underspecced for the game and that I’m still in the process of building my new PC.
So in summary:
- The port stays faithful to the 3DS version, with minor tweaks to the UI to make everything fit on one screen.
- The minimal requirements on the game are alright, although the RAM usage was a bit concerning at first. Once the game is open, however the game runs fluently. I experienced load times of up to 5 minutes waiting for the game to open because my system doesn’t have enough RAM to open all the files at once.
- The main menu has a few changes – Controller settings were taken into mind with a recent update, and there are a few oversights with full-screen play.
- There isn’t a proper exit button. This means getting up from an area where you’re using the wireless gamepad and pressing alt-F4 to close the game. A tad bit counter-intuitive, but there can be a fix.
- Changing resolution or adding a monitor in full screen play can cause the game to close.
- Leaderboards option added for Steam Leaderboards. I didn’t want to enable it just yet, but the option is there for people who want to put their names up on the leaderboards.
- Badges for the Badge community. I’m aiming to get almost all of them, so I’ve got a bit of work to do by playing the Steam Marketplace.
The Steam version is a great recommendation for people who haven’t played the 3DS version yet, and want to dip their toes into the series.
The Legend of Dark Witch is now on sale on Steam (due to the Lunar New Year Sale) and the second game (The Legend of Dark Witch 2 – The Price of Desire for 3DS) has been announced for the 11th of February. The Lunar New Year sale ends on the 12th of February.